Friday, November 10, 2006

30 things to know before next September

I found this on another knitter's blog and have added my own responses on whether I've figured these things out.

"30 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do Before Turning 30 provides idiot-proof instructions for mastering these and other essential, face-saving, and possibly life-saving skills.

You’ll learn how to..."

1. wrap a present
I love to wrap presents and pride myself on my ability to make them look as if they were wrapped with care, and not haste. I still have trouble with round or odd shaped objects though... But who doesn't?

2. start a successful fire in a fireplace, at a campsite, and in a barbecue
Of course I can start a barbecue, as well as a campfire, but I've never tried a fire in a fireplace since I've never had one. I imagine it'd be easy to figure out.

3. finish a piece of furniture
Yes. Many. It's fun to rework old furniture rather than getting new stuff.

4. get a raise
Yeah, I've gotten those.

5. order wine at a restaurant without getting stiffed
Yeah, I can do this just fine. And I know it's in bad taste to sniff the cork! Swirl, sniff, taste.

6. parallel park in three breathtakingly beautiful movements
Sure. I've been able to do this since I was 16. I recently discovered I could also do so in an automatic (I just learned to drive stick).

7. dance a “slow dance” without looking like an idiot
I guess so. At least I hope I didn't look like an idiot.

8. use a full place setting properly, including chopsticks and Asian soup spoons
No problem.

9. clean your place in under 45 minutes, when friends, relatives, or prospective lovers are coming by unexpectedly, and soon
Yikes. Probably not. But I'd damn sure try.

10. hold your liquor
I tend not to drink enough to have to figure out how to "hold" my liqour. I usually limit it to 2 drinks max.

11. cure a hangover
I know how to, but I'm better at avoiding hangovers entirely.

12. do the Heimlich Maneuver
Learned it in high school.

13. use a compass
Well, I know what NESW means, but I've never had to find my way out of a forest using only a compass.

14. change a flat
This is embarassing, but no.

15. jump start a car
Again, embarassing. Sorry dad.

16. open a champagne bottle
Yeah, but I don't like to. I've always been kinda freaked out by loud popping noises. I think it stems from those damn jack-in-the-box things. And balloons.

17. send a drink to someone’s table
Why would I have to learn this by 30? That's just cheap.

18. cook one “signature meal”
Duh. Yeah.

19. whistle with your fingers
No, and I don't think it's necessary.

20. take good pictures
Yeah, on both sides of the camera.

21. fold a fitted sheet
I try my damnedest.

22. remove common stains
Yeah.

23. sew a button
Yep.

24. carve turkey, lasagna, and birthday cake
Yes to lasagna and birthday cake. We'll see how I do with turkey this year when I make my first turkey.

25. hold a baby
Oh yeah.

26. change a diaper
Yep. I've changed many.

27. keep a plant alive for more than a year
Yup.

28. make dogs and cats love you
That's easy. Dogs like me because I like them and cats like me because I'm allergic and try to avoid them.

29. help someone
Yeah. I work in a LYS! Oh, and I'm an attorney. I think those count.

30. write superior thank you notes
I'm pretty good at this, but can always afford to improve.

No comments: