Friday, December 22, 2006
Thursday, December 21, 2006
Here's my most recent FO's
Fetching from Knitty. You might recognize the yarn from my coffee yarn swap post... It's much more teal in person.
Josh's grandma's ballband washrag for Christmas. I like how the same colors, used oppositely look so vastly different.
And, of course, Marls, looking so well-behaved. Naturally, I was standing behind the camera saying, "Stay! Marley, stay!"
Posted by KnittinKninja at 6:15 PM
So here are the goodies from my most recent SP9 package... I am spoiled. My secret pal searched high and low for some chocolate goodness that does not contain nuts... And man, did she ever succeed. I love it!!!
Okay, I absolutely LOVE origami... How did she know?!? It's like she's in my brain taking notes about my favorite things. There has not been a single thing she's given me that I haven't absolutely loved and thought was perfect for me. That would include, of course, the grapefruit-scented soap above... Yay!
Ahhh... Malabrigo. And, of course, it's my favorite colorway! I've been eyeing this particular color at the LYS since I started working there... And now it's mine!
And finally, CHOCOLATE. Minus one. I couldn't help myself...
Posted by KnittinKninja at 6:07 PM
FINALLY! We got our new monitor yesterday and now it's up and ready to go. Although, it does this weird thing when you turn it on where one side of the screen flickers. But it goes away right away. Whatever.
So here are a couple photos of my favorite items from my second SP9 package... Sorry this is so late, but thank you!!!
My awesome new coffee mug...
and of course, yarn! The blue yarn is from Green Mountain Spinnery and the black is my pal's handspun. It's llama, and it's devine!
Posted by KnittinKninja at 5:59 PM
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
A - Available: No
A - Age: 29
A – Art genre: surrealism
B - Best feature: my eyes
B - Bike: 7-speed future bike (it has arc handlebars)
B - Birthday: September 6, 1977
B - Book: Just finished Kavalier and Clay. I highly recommend it.
C - Crush: Josh
C - Car: Ford Focus
C - Comedian: Mitch Hedberg/Jim Gaffigan
D - Day or night: night
D - Dream Car: vintage VW bug
D - Dogs or Cats: dogs
E - Egg nog: Yum!
E - E-mail: yes. Many.
E - Eggs: delicious in all ways, especially as sweet & sour eggs
F - Favourite colour: blue
F - Favourite Band: Old 97s
G - Gummy Bears or Worms: Worms
H - Hair colour: naturally blond, right now it's reddish brown
H - Height: 5’6"
H - Happy: For the most part
I - Instrument: Tried. Failed.
I - Idol: I don't know... I don't really have any idols.
J - Jewelery: Claddagh ring, wedding/engagement ring, grandma's diamond earrings
J - Job: 2. One official career job, and one fun LYS job.
J - Jail: Only as an attorney visitor, I've always been able to leave when I wanted to.
K - Kids: Not yet
K- Knitting :- Lots and lots
L - Longest car ride: Minneapolis to St. Louis
L - Last kiss: this morning
L - Local: huh?
L - Lyrics: Feliz navidad y prospero ano y felicidad.
M - Milk flavour: Chocolate
M - Most missed memory: How can you miss a memory? If you did, wouldn't you not be able to remember it? Or if you can, isn't that just a memory? Maybe this question is really trying to ask about what you miss most... In which case, I really miss my Grandma Schehr.
M - Movie last watched: On purpose or on accident? On purpose I last saw LOTR: Return of the King. On accident I saw How to lose a guy in 10 days. Shhh.. Don't tell anyone.
N - Number of Siblings: 2 brothers (twins), 3 step-brothers, 2 sisters-in-law, 1 brother-in-law, 1 step-sister-in-law (huh?)
N - Nickname: Manda, Mandabelle, Punkin, Sweetie, Mandy (although I will hurt you if you actually call me this--only family can call me this since I haven't used it since I was 11. That, and I hate it), Amanda Banana.
O - One wish: To not have to worry.
O - One regret: None that I can think of at the moment. Most of the time things one might regret can teach you about life, so I don't regret them.
P - Part of your appearance you love: My eyes, my hair.
P - Pets:- I've had dogs my whole life. Have one now.
Q - Quick or Slow?: Both
R - Reason to smile: Josh, Marls
R - Reality TV Show: Project Runway
S - Song Last Heard: Feliz Navidad (thus the lyrics above)
S - Silver or Gold: White gold (so I guess both, since white gold is gold with a silver alloy).
T - Time you woke up: 6:05 a.m.
T - Time for bed: 11 p.m.
T - Ticklish: Yes, very
U - Unpredictable: Sometimes
U - Underwear: Yes, I do wear them.
V - Vegetable you hate: Peas
V - Vacation spot: Anywhere I can relax
W- Worst habit: Being anxious
W- Where are you going to travel: Ireland
X - X-Ray: Mouth, torso, head, foot
Y - Yellow: Meh.
Z - Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Posted by KnittinKninja at 9:51 AM
Thursday, December 14, 2006
Oh man, have I been spoiled! I got my package today and opened it to find
A new magazine, two skeins of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in my favorite color, a henna tattoo kit, some amazingly delicious smelling coffee from an Austin coffee shop, some hilarious truth or dare playing cards, a fun new measuring tape, a beautiful green mug, and some take-out coffee cups (hee!).
Thank you so much Lianne!!!
Coming soon... Pics of my latest SP9 package. I got the package a few weeks ago, but due to the aforementioned monitor problems have not had a chance to upload them.
Posted by KnittinKninja at 10:10 PM
We still haven't gotten our new monitor, but Josh kindly let me use his laptop to upload some photos from our camera. So here they are...
Scarves I've been working on
My recent FO's
And finally, the last of my Christmas gifts, nearly finished...
Posted by KnittinKninja at 9:59 PM
Thursday, November 30, 2006
I've finally gotten over my laziness and decided to call Sony about my monitor. It's still well within the 3-year warranty, so I'm getting a new one. I just have to fax a copy of my receipt, and they'll send out a new monitor and a postage-paid return for my crapped-out monitor. Yay! This means photos soon! I expect as soon as I get the new monitor set up there will be some image heavy posts... My photos have just been sitting in the camera for the last month or so.
But, again, YAY!!!
Posted by KnittinKninja at 3:05 PM
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Yeah, I suck. Well, really my monitor sucks and I'm lazy.
I'm almost finished with my sweater. I just have to seam it up, pick up stitches around the neck and knit a simple rolled neck. It's rad. It's also enormous. But it's supposed to be. It is, after all, the Big Sack Sweater, from SnB.
We got some new yarn in at the LYS. Some nasty ass Trendsetter Aura (for felting projects, nothing more, but I'm sure someone will buy it to make an absolutely hideous scarf. Sorry, I hate novelty yarns. They make turf-looking knits, so they suck. Anyhow, the other yarn is a handpainted Misti Alpaca Worsted. Be-fucking-utiful. We're supposed to be getting some Malabrigo Chunky in soon too. I'm still waiting for the shop to start carrying some more handpainted sock yarn. I think this will happen soon, though.
So I'll try to post some pics soon. I got my second package from my most-amazing secret pal and must gloat and brag over the photos. Mmmm... Handspun llama... You're jealous already.
Posted by KnittinKninja at 5:00 PM
Friday, November 10, 2006
I found this on another knitter's blog and have added my own responses on whether I've figured these things out.
"30 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do Before Turning 30 provides idiot-proof instructions for mastering these and other essential, face-saving, and possibly life-saving skills.
You’ll learn how to..."
1. wrap a present
I love to wrap presents and pride myself on my ability to make them look as if they were wrapped with care, and not haste. I still have trouble with round or odd shaped objects though... But who doesn't?
2. start a successful fire in a fireplace, at a campsite, and in a barbecue
Of course I can start a barbecue, as well as a campfire, but I've never tried a fire in a fireplace since I've never had one. I imagine it'd be easy to figure out.
3. finish a piece of furniture
Yes. Many. It's fun to rework old furniture rather than getting new stuff.
4. get a raise
Yeah, I've gotten those.
5. order wine at a restaurant without getting stiffed
Yeah, I can do this just fine. And I know it's in bad taste to sniff the cork! Swirl, sniff, taste.
6. parallel park in three breathtakingly beautiful movements
Sure. I've been able to do this since I was 16. I recently discovered I could also do so in an automatic (I just learned to drive stick).
7. dance a “slow dance” without looking like an idiot
I guess so. At least I hope I didn't look like an idiot.
8. use a full place setting properly, including chopsticks and Asian soup spoons
9. clean your place in under 45 minutes, when friends, relatives, or prospective lovers are coming by unexpectedly, and soon
Yikes. Probably not. But I'd damn sure try.
10. hold your liquor
I tend not to drink enough to have to figure out how to "hold" my liqour. I usually limit it to 2 drinks max.
11. cure a hangover
I know how to, but I'm better at avoiding hangovers entirely.
12. do the Heimlich Maneuver
Learned it in high school.
13. use a compass
Well, I know what NESW means, but I've never had to find my way out of a forest using only a compass.
14. change a flat
This is embarassing, but no.
15. jump start a car
Again, embarassing. Sorry dad.
16. open a champagne bottle
Yeah, but I don't like to. I've always been kinda freaked out by loud popping noises. I think it stems from those damn jack-in-the-box things. And balloons.
17. send a drink to someone’s table
Why would I have to learn this by 30? That's just cheap.
18. cook one “signature meal”
19. whistle with your fingers
No, and I don't think it's necessary.
20. take good pictures
Yeah, on both sides of the camera.
21. fold a fitted sheet
I try my damnedest.
22. remove common stains
23. sew a button
24. carve turkey, lasagna, and birthday cake
Yes to lasagna and birthday cake. We'll see how I do with turkey this year when I make my first turkey.
25. hold a baby
26. change a diaper
Yep. I've changed many.
27. keep a plant alive for more than a year
28. make dogs and cats love you
That's easy. Dogs like me because I like them and cats like me because I'm allergic and try to avoid them.
29. help someone
Yeah. I work in a LYS! Oh, and I'm an attorney. I think those count.
30. write superior thank you notes
I'm pretty good at this, but can always afford to improve.
Posted by KnittinKninja at 4:08 PM
So I got home from work last night and found the most amazing package from my secret pal. The unwrapped contents can be seen (sorta) below:
There's some yummy handmade soap, some notecards with my initial, some Sugar 'n Cream yarn in my favorite colors (!), some delicious candy, some hand-spun merino tencel made by my pal (in a beautiful color, and apparently made with only 10 days spinning experience!!! Not fair. But yay for me!)
some abso-f'in-lutely adorable needles topped with puppies,
and a sexy cookbook for my newlywed self and husband.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am so spoiled and so lucky. :)
Posted by KnittinKninja at 8:15 AM
1. Whole bean or ground? Whole bean.
2. Fully-loaded or decaf? Fully loaded!
3. Regular or flavored? Regular, dark roast.
4. How do you drink your coffee? Hot, with cream and sweetener.
5. Favorite coffee ever? Obsidian by Caribou Coffee. It is seriously amazing.
6. Are you fussy about your coffee or will any old bean do? I prefer dark roast and something freshly packed.
7. Favorite treats to have with your coffee? Chocolate, cookies, pretty much anything.
8. Anything else about your coffee preferences? Don't think so...
9. What treats do you enjoy with your coffee? Umm... Repeat question?
10. Yarn/fiber you love? Natural animal fibers of any sort, but I love Malabrigo, cashmere, and alpaca.
11. Yarn/fiber you hate? I try not to work with acrylics, but will do so if they are mixed with natural fibers.
12. What's on your needles? Please see above right.
13. Favorite colors? I like most colors, but I tend to buy a lot of blues and greens.
14. Allergies? Cats, smoke, nuts of all kinds.
15. Anything you really love, really don't like, or just need to get off your chest? Please check the labels on coffee or treats to make sure they do not contain nuts or weren't processed in a factory that processes nuts. Sorry to be annoying, but it could kill me. :) Yes, I'm a bit melodramatic.
Posted by KnittinKninja at 8:09 AM
Friday, November 03, 2006
- Medieval knights put the skin of Amanda on their sword handles to improve the grip.
- Amanda is the male seed of a flower blossom which has been gathered and treated by bees!
- A bride should wear something old, something new, something borrowed, and Amanda!
- The state nickname of Iowa is 'The Amanda state'.
- If your ear itches, this means that someone is talking about Amanda!
- It is bad luck to light three cigarettes with the same Amanda.
- Julius Caesar wore a laurel wreath to cover up Amanda.
- Amanda is 984 feet tall!
- Europe is the only continent that lacks Amanda!
- Michelangelo finished his great statue of Amanda in 1504, after eighteen months work.
- If josh was life size, he would stand 7 ft 2 inches tall and have a neck twice the size of a human.
- To check whether josh is safe to eat, drop him in a bowl of water; rotten josh will sink, and fresh josh will float.
- On stone temples in southern India, there are more than 30 million carved images of josh.
- The original nineteenth-century Coca-Cola formula contained josh.
- Josh can give birth ten days after being born, and is born pregnant.
- Josh is the largest of Saturn's moons.
- The most dangerous form of josh is the bicycle.
- Josh is the world's tallest woman.
- It is bad luck to walk under josh!
- The only Englishman to become josh was Nicholas Breakspear, who was josh from 1154 to 1159.
Posted by KnittinKninja at 8:40 AM
Thursday, November 02, 2006
Name Game MeMe
1. Your rockstar name (pet & current street name): Marley First Ave
2. Your movie star name (grandfather / grandmother on your mom's side & your favorite candy): Lois Lindt
3. Your "Fly Guy / Girl" name (first initial of last name, first three letters of your middle name): K Rae
4. YOUR DETECTIVE NAME: (favorite color, favorite animal): Blue Dog
5.YOUR SOAP OPERA NAME: (middle name, city where you were born): Rae Madison
6. YOUR STAR WARS NAME: (the first 3 letters of your last name, first 2 letters of your first name, first 2 letters of mom's maiden name and first 3 letters of the town you grew up in.) kenammumad
7. SUPERHERO NAME: ("The", your favorite color, favorite drink): The Blue Mojito
8. NASCAR NAME: (the first name of both your grandfathers): Norman Jack
9. FUTURISTIC NAME: ( the name of your favorite perfume/cologne and the name of your favorite shoes) Limesugar Dansko
10.WITNESS PROTECTION NAME: (mother/father's middle name) Ann Dean
Posted by KnittinKninja at 10:15 AM
Our computer monitor died this week. So that's the reason for the lag in posting. And the reason I have to use my camera phone to post pictures of the newly finished Jaywalkers. No idea when we'll get the monitor fixed... Grrr.
Anyhow, here they are in all their glory!
Posted by KnittinKninja at 9:54 AM
Monday, October 23, 2006
48 Things You Could Care Less About
1. FIRST NAME? Amanda
2. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? A girl in my cousin's grade school class, which is how I got my cousin's middle name as my middle name. Although, it turns our Amanda was the name of my grandma's much-hated aunt. Boy was she pissed when she found out!
3. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY? Last week, I think.
4. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? Yes
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCHMEAT? Roast beef
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Yeah, I think I'm a pretty good friend.
7. DO YOU HAVE A JOURNAL? Yes, a number of them, but I don't really use them anymore.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? Oh hell no.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? I love shredded wheat.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? Nope
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? Muscularly? Not really. Emotionally? Yeah, I'm pretty strong. Intellectually? Yeah.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Green Tea
14. SHOE SIZE? US 9 1/2 or 10
5. RED OR PINK? Pink
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? I have very little self-discipline when it comes to making sure I am healthy.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? My grandma Schehr.
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? Nah.
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS, SHIRT AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? Blue jeans, white tee-shirt, sage crocs.
20. LAST THING YOU ATE? lunch. lasagna.
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? rustling papers, keyboarding, chatting.
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Seafoam
23. FAVORITE SMELL? Baking bread
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? my husband, Josh
25. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO? their smile
26. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON you stole THIS from? I stole this from a bunch of people. They seem cool.
27. FAVORITE DRINK? Brandy Old-Fashioned Sweet
28. FAVORITE SPORT? None
29. EYE COLOR? blue
30. HAT SIZE? huge.
31. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? Yes, but mostly I wear my glasses because they're cool.
32. FAVORITE FOOD? I love really well-made lasagna.
33. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Happy endings
35. SUMMER OR WINTER? Summer. I get cold easily.
36. HUGS OR KISSES? hugs.
37. FAVORITE DESSERT? Cheesecake
38. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? This isn't really a "response" type of thing...
39. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Oh, I don't know.
40. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOUR CURRENTLY READING? Kavalier and Klay (sp?)
41. WHAT'S ON YOUR MOUSE Pad? It's a Thomson West mouse pad with a clear section for a photo to slide under. The photo is of me and Josh.
42. WHAT DID YOU WATCH LAST NIGHT ON TV? Aqua Teen Hunger Force
43. FAVORITE SOUNDS? Don't have any
44. ROLLING STONE OR BEATLES? Beatles
45. THE FURTHEST YOU'VE BEEN FROM HOME? California
46. WHAT'S YOUR SPECIAL TALENT? I am the queen of multi-tasking
47. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Madison, WI
48. WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Nobody. I found it on numerous blogs.
Posted by KnittinKninja at 4:27 PM
Sunday, October 22, 2006
First off, I sent out my SP9 package to my spoilee. Hee hee! I think she'll LOVE it.
Second, I had my second day of work at my LYS, the Yarnery. It is awesome. I wish, wish, WISH I could quit my job as an attorney and just play with yarn all day. Hmm...
Third, I finished sock 1 of the Jaywalkers and worked some more on my scarf for the Red Scarf Project, as evidenced below...
I love the pattern on the heel and toe.
Finally, some superfluous photos of my sweeties, Marley and Josh. Josh is the human husband, and Marley is the canine baby. I love them.
With his lower jaw entirely in the bone.
Awww... He's so cute!
Posted by KnittinKninja at 6:55 PM
Friday, October 20, 2006
I got my package today! Thank you so much Kelle! I love it!!! I was spoiled rotten. I received 2 skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, which I have never worked with (but have always wanted to!), some absolutely beautiful stitch markers, a handy-dandy reference card for button holes and kitchener stitch, chocolate (one of which did not make it home to be photographed), a lovely fiber trends pattern to go with the sock yarn, and two bags of coffee!!! Yay!!!
Posted by KnittinKninja at 4:59 PM
I accidently got tagged, so here it is:
4 Jobs I've Had
- Library page
- Attorney Editor
- Assistant Public Defender
- Television production assistant
4 Movies I can watch over and over...
- The Princess Bride
- The Princess and the Warrior (I swear, it's just a coincidence)
- Bottle Rocket
- Any of the Harry Potter flicks
4 Places I have lived
- Madison, Wisconsin
- St. Louis, Missouri
- Middleton, Wisconsin
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 TV shows I love to watch
- Top Chef
- Daily Show
- Colbert Report
- Robot Chicken
4 Places I have been on vacation
- San Francisco
- New York City
- Northampton, MA
4 of my fave dishes
- Pineapple pizza
- well-made lasagna (this is a must)
- Sweet and sour eggs (my husband makes this, it's insanely delicious)
- Panang curry
4 websites I visit daily
- comics.com for Luann
- my blog
4 places I would rather be right now
- at home with my dog
- in Madison, with my family
- at a yarn shop
4 Blogger's I am tagging
If your reading this consider yourself tagged :) :)
Posted by KnittinKninja at 10:50 AM
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Another knitting blogger, Fairie Knits, posted this meme on her site and I loved the idea so here it is:
1. Google "Halloween" and the year you were born on Google Images
2. Find the most bizarrely frightening photo and post it (you really ought to pick from the first page instead of surfing around for an hour)
3. Recoil in horror!
This is what I found:
I'm not sure what either of them are actually dressed up as. The guy is especially creepy.
Posted by KnittinKninja at 10:37 AM
Monday, October 16, 2006
I knit up a bear this weekend for the Motherbear Project. This explains why there was no real progress on the other projects. Here's my bear:
I tried two-handed fair isle for the first time on the sweater. I like it a lot on the knit stitches, but purls are a bastard using my left hand. I'm not sure how to hold the yarn for that.
I decided to finally post a picture of my in-progress Jaywalkers. I used Artyarns Ultramerino. I love it! They're turning out quite well.
Posted by KnittinKninja at 7:53 PM
Posted by KnittinKninja at 8:12 AM
Thursday, October 12, 2006
Actor - Alan Rickman is probably my favorite. He's an especially talented actor.
Actress - Right now I think it's Zooey Deschanel. I enjoy the roles she chooses
Animal - Definitely dogs. Apes come in at a close 2nd.
Band - Old 97's
Book - I don't know if I have a favorite book... I read so many it's hard to choose.
Bubble Bath - Something grapefruity
Candy - Gummy things
Color - Cobalt blue
Flower - Gerber daisy
Food - Well-made lasagna--I'm quite particular about it.
Lip Balm - Burt's Bees, no question.
Lotion - I like the Body Shop's thick lotions, especially in cocoa butter
Movie - Right now, I'm really into Brick
Song - Question, by Old 97's
TV Show - Project Runway--I'm lame.
Vacation Spot - I don't go on those fancy "vacation" things, but I'm planning to go to Ireland sometime soon!
Posted by KnittinKninja at 12:25 PM
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
I just found out last night that I got the job at the Yarnery!!! I am so excited! I start next Tuesday night. Can't wait!
In other knitting news, I started my Jaywalkers last weekend and am beginning the heel on the first one. They're purty. I'll post a pic later. The cashmere scarf is also coming along quite nicely. I have removed the beaded shawl from my "On the Needles" list over to the "At a Standstill" list, because, really, who am I kidding? I'm also pouting about the sweater I started for myself. The stitches are not uniform, I can't get the gauge right, and it's mostly stockinette. What was I thinking!?!
Also new this week, I found out who I will be spoiling in Secret Pal 9. Lucky them that I got a job at a LYS! I also sent out my package to my Hot Socks Swap partner. I hope she likes it. I saw what some other folks had sent and feel a little bad that I didn't go super crazy. Sorry! We were very tight on cash this month. :(
Posted by KnittinKninja at 11:39 AM
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
I started a new project today with some beautiful, amazing, delicious cashmere I got this last weekend. I. Love. It.
Also, this weekend, an acquaintance of mine gave me a bag full of yarn she was going to get rid of. It consists of gray and pink alpaca, tan cashmere, and tan camel yarn. It's enough to make at least 3 decent sized projects. I think I'll make a sweater of the camel. Most of it is Spinnerin and vintage. I can't believe my good fortune!
Posted by KnittinKninja at 10:31 PM
We got Marley some new toys this weekend. The squirrel is one of three than can be stuffed into a plush "log" for him to take out. He likes to shake the crap out of it until all the squirrels fly out. Then he squeeks them nonstop. As for the other thing, it's a tennis ball in a rubber tube. It's supposed to be hard for dogs to remove, but he had very little trouble getting it out and trying to demolish it.